To install OptiFine, you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Head over to the OptiFine website.
- Look for OptiFine for your Minecraft version.
- Once you found it, click on the (Mirror) link beside the OptiFine version you want to download.
- Click the Download button.
There are two ways to install OptiFine.
- First one is to run the .jar file you downloaded in the previous steps. Go with this one if you don't intend to use OptiFine alongside other mods.
- Second one is to put the OptiFine .jar file to the mods folder. This way you can use OptiFine with other mods. You will need Minecraft Forge for this to work. Fabric is not officially supported.
Using an installer
Before following these steps, make sure you have run the version of Minecraft for which you want to install OptiFine at least once.
- Run the .jar file you downloaded.
- Click Install.
- Restart SKlauncher.
- Select OptiFine profile.
- Go to the Installations Manager and create a new installation.
- In the version chooser select Forge and choose desired Minecraft version.
- Customize the installation to your liking and save it.
- Right click on a newly created installation and click on Open Installation Directory from the context menu.
- The file manager window should now open at a game directory. Create a new folder with a name
- Drag and drop OptiFine .jar file you downloaded earlier into that folder.
Using OptiFine with Fabric
You can do so by installing OptiFabric mod, but it's not recommended for compatibility reasons. Even the author of this mod suggests using alternatives to Optifine such as Sodium. It serves the same purpose as OptiFine, works natively with Fabric and reportedly gives even better performance. Sodium however doesn't have shaders support built in. But you can use Iris Shaders mod for that.